If you have been vaping for a long time like me or even just getting started, you may have grown tired of continuously spending a lot of your hard-earned money on e-liquids. When I started to make my vape at home, this was my main reason. With time, the idea of creating my own DIY e-juice flavors pushed me to learn e-liquid mixing deeper. If this is you as well, you just came to the right place. It is time you also learn the fun and exciting art of making your own homemade vape e-liquids.
Ingredients I use to make my vape e-liquids
The following are the main ingredients in my DIY vape e-liquid kit that I use to make my vape liquids. They include:
- Propylene glycol (PG)
- Vegetable glycerol (VG)
- Vodka or distilled water
- Nicotine liquid
I take my safety very seriously when I make my vape. I do not handle the e-liquid ingredients without having the following mixing supplies. These include:
- Pair of gloves
- Empty plastic bottles that have a childproof cap
- Face shield or goggles
- Napkins or tissue papers
- How I make my vape e-juices in 5 easy steps
- Prepare the nicotine liquid
- Prepare the e-juice flavors
- Prepare base (PG and VG)
- Mix the blend together
When mixing, it is important to understand that the different ingredients used to make e-liquids have different densities. Propylene glycol (PG) and flavorings are thinner at different levels whereas vegetable glycerol (VG) is thicker. Therefore, you should shake the bottle properly for the blend to mix properly.
For steeping, I do not have a single preferred way when I make my vape e-liquids. The following are some of the steeping methods I use:
Breathing: I usually rest the liquid container open. Ideal with e-juice flavors containing ethyl alcohol because the method mutes the flavors and oxidizes nicotine if you have overdone it.
Water bath: sometimes I place the liquid bottles inside a heated container of liquid. This method helps to homogenize the e-liquids. However, you need to check the temperature of the container of liquid because it can degrade nicotine and the flavoring.
Resting: sometimes I place the liquid in a cool and dark place and allow it to rest for a few days to a couple of weeks. Occasionally, I would shake the liquid so that the blend of ingredients can mix properly.
Tips to make great tasting vape e-liquids
- Take note of every measurement and step used to make an e-juice. These ratios and amounts will come in handy when you need to replicate it.
- Join online forums and groups about vaping and DIY recipe
- Use flavoring created for vaping instead of food flavorings
- Use more PG if you are after a great throat hit
- Use more VG if you want your vapor clouds to be dense but with a mild throat hit
- High VG e-liquids are best suited for sub-ohm vaping because they not only offer bigger clouds but need more heat from the vaporizer since VG is more viscous.
- Always use nicotine with care and keep children and pets away from your home laboratory because some of the ingredients such as nicotine can be poisonous if swallowed.
To be honest, learning to make my vape e-juices at home was not an easy process. I went through a lot of trials and errors before I finally managed to create my first perfect mix. After that, it became easier to replicate the DIY e-juice recipes. Compared to continuously buying e-liquids, it also costs less. However, not every vaper can make their own DIY e-juice. If you are not cut out for it, I recommend that you trust and stick with experienced vape companies like Flavorah that have a host of different e-juice flavors to select from. Flavorah hosts a wide selection of concentrates. Check out some of the flavors and start making your DIY vape juices today.